Friday, July 17, 2009

Trials, Tribulations and Triumph!!

What a crazy couple of days it has been. My Mom has given us all quite a scare in the last couple of days. We have been given the run-a-round trying to figure out what has been wrong with her. We were fairly certain that she had a stroke yesterday morning. Took her in to see the doctor and that is what they concluded. Mind you, they came to this conclusion with only a neurological exam, (you know, squeeze my fingers, push up with your hands, apply pressure with your feet and flex ...) They did however run an EKG, the heart was sound. They said she had a mild stroke and that if this should happen again in the future to take her directly to the hospital. That will be $45.00, thank you very much and be on your way. In all honesty, I left there feeling a bit certain that our trial had concluded for the day, but just as certain that there were going to be more tribulations in the future. Needless to say, I had a difficult time falling asleep last night and did quite a bit of praying.

Move forward to this morning. My phonne rang at 5:07 am. It was my sister saying Mom was at it again. She had been immobile since 11:30 pm last night. Not only not moving, but unable to speak or make noise at all to notify them she was in trouble. She found her at 4:30 this morning in this condition. I can not even begin to imagine the fear that was in her heart. I know the fear that was in mine upon receiving the call. We all raced to the hospital. They ran a complete battery of tests on her, blood work, urinary testings, x-rays, cat scans, another Ekg, and of course the neuro testings again. The answers came to us via the blood tests. Her blood sugar levels were only at 38. That is incredibly low. They gave her dextrose intraveiously and we saw some better color coming to her quite quickly after this. We were there for a total of 4 and 1/2 hours. But we left feeling a little triumphant with at least a reasonable diagnosis. They are scheduling another MRI which we should get a date for by Monday. Hopefully, that is going to turn out as good news as well.

These last couple of days have been tough. But, in truth, I am grateful for them as well. It is through the tough times that real bonding happens and it is amazing how incredible the love is between Mother and daughters as well as between sisters. I have been ultimately blessed in my life with the family that I was born into. I wouldn't change it for the world. Toss in a couple of very loving and devoted husbands and I say we are really lucky. I suppose I will just end this blog with the most heartfelt thanks to the Lord above for prayers answered!

No comments:

Post a Comment