Wednesday, March 24, 2010

State of Flux!

I have been in the process of trying to take my grooming shop back over since mid February. The gal that I had attempted to sell it to is 2 years in arrears in her payments to me, 9 months behind in the rent payment to the landlord and behind in several of the utility bills.

In October 2009 I informed her that her payments were going to have to resume or she would be found in default and I would resume ownership and operation of my shop by year's end. She made a little payment and a huge promise that she was going to be able to resume payments on a regular schedule. It did not happen. My husband and I went there on Christmas day and were surprised to find that I had been locked out of the shop.

I then gave her one more chance to get it together, giving her until March 1st, 2010 to make good on all past due debt. This was to include the past due rent as well. The landlord by now was wanting her gone. There were too many excuses and not enough compensation. She had informed me that due to the recession that business had all but dropped off.

I gave notice at my current place of employment, went up to my shop in mid February to take possession of my shop. She refused to leave and called the sheriff. The sheriff informed me that I had no legal right to the property or to it's contents. She had had possession for over 2 years. She was informed that she was not allowed to take any equipment from the shop or it would be theft. I took pictures of the shop with the sheriff as witness. We were left with no other alternative but to legally evict her. She informed me and the landlord that her family was giving her a loan to pay off the purchase price of the business and all the back rent. She assured us we would have all money owed to us by 2/28/10. She also said that she would remove herself from the premisesby 3/1/10 if this loan failed to come through.

Needless to say, she has never paid and is still squatting. The eviction is in process and I have no idea how long this process will take. This has been such a trying time. I gave her too many chances and have shown her nothing but kindness and patience. In reviewing the record books, it came to light that she had been completely fabricating the story of not making a decent and workable income. It is not what it once was, but there was more than enough monies earned to meet all financial responsibilities. Good news in some ways, but still a dagger in the heart. At least when I do finally get to take it back, there is still clientele enough to keep it going. I honestly thought I was going to have to revive a dead business. I am left with the question as to why she wouldn't have taken this opportunity for the great possibility that it was. and just met her financial responsibilities. I guess I will never know the answer to that question.

I am just in a state of flux and waiting. I can't wait to get this resolved and start moving in a positive direction. I think the biggest mystery to me is her unfailing sense of entitlement to be there when she hasn't earned the right to do so. I couldn't imagine behaving as she has. If I had belittled this opportunity such as she has, I would have simply walked out the door with my tail tucked in shame. What audacity she has to have such an attitude of self-righteousness. All I can say to her is, "Carma, Pumpkin, Carma!"

No comments:

Post a Comment