Friday, December 4, 2009

Saving Pennies

Well, just like everyone else n the country, Jeff and I have been trying to cut back on our spending. We used to go out for dinner at least 3 times a week. We figured that was a little extravagant, so we have cut back. Alot!! It seems a little ridiculous for two people who love to cook and can turn out a really good meal. Jeff makes some delicious crock pot meals and the most amazing Mexican foods. He also barbecues like a champion. I too, can cook almost anything I feel like eating, most of the time it is just recipes that I pull out of my head. I am not trying to brag, but when we cook, neither one of us complain at all.

You know how it is though, don't you? When you put in a full day at work, run the errands and finally step in the door to take the dogs out and get settled, it is hard sometimes to want to prepare a meal when you are pooped out. But, I have to say, we have been very diligent about cooking. I am very proud of us for this.

Now for the good part. We decided to go out for dinner on Wednesday night. We opted to go for our favorite Mexican place, Xochimilcos. (Pronounced So-chi-milcos) I just want to say, other than being in Mexico, this is the best Mexican food in the Sacramento area. Trust me, Jeff and I consider ourselves Mexican Food aficionado's. Everything is slow cooked from scratch, and true flavors, homemade tortillas, both corn and flour. Even in the enchiladas. We started out with their bean dip. It is the best ! Comes to you in a crock with melted cheese and homemade chips. I could make a meal out of this and the salsa alone. Jeff opted for the #4 combination plate. He likes to get as much as he can for his dollar. It was a great choice. The chile rellano that is included in the dish is the best I have ever tasted anywhere. I opted for the pork enchilada plate. So delicious!! Simple flipping goodness!!

This restaurant is located on the corner of Auburn Blvd. and College Oak in Citrus Heights. For those of you who live locally, be sure to pay them a visit. I assure you that you will not be disappointed. I for one, can not wait to go back!!

1 comment: